Family Photos With a Difference | JILLIBEAN SOUP

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

I really wanted to give my Mum something meaningful and hand-made for Mother's Day. She has been asking for photos of us for quite some time and I kept forgetting so I thought a decor mobile with photos hung randomly would be something different and fun for her to place on her gallery wall. The wooden script word 'family' couldn't have been any more perfect for this occasion.
Recently I was lucky to be part of a wonderful product swap with Jillibean Soup and Thermo-Web. I was instantly drawn to the gold foil from Thermo-Web as I thought it would compliment the rustic white paintwork on the wooden script word from Jillibean Soup that I had chosen to use.
As the wooden word 'family' was already painted with white in a rustic style, I thought using a feathering approach to the gold foil would be the most cohesive look. I used a bristle fan paint brush and some of the iCraft Mixed Media Adhesive and made wispy strokes from the bottom up. 
After allowing the glue to dry to a tacky consistency I placed the foil over the wood piece and using my finger pressed gently but firmly for the best coverage before pealing off the sheet.
I'd decided to add a felt flower but wanted to add gold leaves to it instead of the felt leaves that came in the pack. So using some of the  iCraft Decofoil Foam Adhesive I punched both leave and hearts then again placed the foil over the top and rubbed gently. The foil pealed off beautifully from the foam adhesive with very little pressure needed.
Next step was to fill the heart shaped shakers with the sequins and beads before pealing back the adhesive strip protector. I then placed cotton thread over the entire heart from top to bottom and then joined it with another heart shaker to lock the thread in place. 
I laid all the cotton threads out on my table and added the shakers, along with the punched hearts and also the larger punched hearts that I used as the backdrop for my photos. 
It was then a matter of working out how long I wanted each thread and also the placement of the photos for an overall balanced look to the project.

Family Wall Art by Melinda Spinks

Supplies:
Jillibean Soup
Mix the media: Word Script/Family
Embellishments: Felt Flowers/Nosey Navy
Shape Shakers: Shaker Tag Insert/Small Hearts; Shaker Small Heart
Shape Sequin Fillers: Jewels & Sequins/Watercolor; Sequins/NeutralBlues

Thermoweb: Mixed Media Transfer Foil/Old Gold, iCraft Foam Adhesive, iCraft Mixed Media Multi-Purpose Adhesive

Other: Thread, Leaf and Heart Punches, Paint Brush


1 comment: